April 2016 Meeting Minutes
Meeting called to order at 7:03 pm at the Duvall Fire Station by Pres. Ken Kosters (W7ECK).
Members Present: Larry Backstrom, Kathy Brasch, Rowland Brasch, Rick Burns, Paul Butzi, Bob Decker, Dick Freiheit, Lindy Friedlander, Ken Kosters, Ralph Lease, Irvina Mizell, Dan Pflugrath, Shawn Somers, Chuck Woolfolk.
Guests Present: Glendon Pflugrath
Secretary/Treasurer’s Report – Lindy (KG7IFA)
- Minutes from the March meeting were reviewed electronically prior to the meeting and approved at the meeting.
- Current Balance $2,292.46 as of the March 31, 2016 Draft CDCCC Financial Report.The report has not yet been approved at a CDCCC Board Meeting.
- 2016 Club dues:33 members have paid their dues donation* to date (including those added before & after the meeting). Checks for all those remaining who wish to be members should be made out to CDCCC and brought to the next meeting or mailed with membership application to: CDCCC, PO Box 644, Carnation WA 98014. PLEASE USE THE MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION ON THE YAHOO Reflector OR ASK LINDY TO EMAIL A COPY. (Link on website will be fixed soon.)
- 2016 Duvall 10K Run — Irvina (KC7YJK) SAVE THE DATE: JUNE 5, 2016. (Paige has retired; Amy & Kathy will run it now)
- Need volunteers! Approximately 2 hour commitment.Help direct traffic, stopping cars when necessary.Help runners stay on track and provide encouragement.In addition to your radio, bring a cell phone to call 911 if an emergency arises.If using a stop sign, return to pace car when last runner has gone by your station.
- Rowland volunteered to be Net Control
- List for volunteers was passed around.Please contact Irvina at Irvina.Mizell@hotmail.com to be added to the list.
- Repeater Task Force / Technical Committee – Dan (KA7GPP)
- IRLP and Echolink are ready but not yet hooked up. We are waiting on Rob to meet up at Cougar.
Duvall and Cougar both have time and re-back: If you hit '1111', you will get the time of day; if you hit '1234', after you hear 'ready', you can talk and test your equipment and see what you sound like.
Emergency Planning & Mobilization – Rowland (K7RWB)
- Grant status: No word, so expect we did not get the grant from the Tribe.
- Regional Network – Tom (WA7TBP) has had no luck getting folks together. However, Rowland made contact with the head of ARES of Redmond.Rowland will meet with Tom and figure out how best to proceed now.
Rowland went to a class from Emergency Planning for the city.King County presenter, Rich Richardson, talked about 800 MHz with handie talkies — new digital system will be ready in 2020 or 2021.
Education & Community Outreach – Larry (N7ART)
Technician Class schedule for May 7 & 14, 9-5 with exam 3-5 on the 14th. There are 36 seats. It is on Eventbrite now and 3 people have signed up so far.He also had flyers made and have put some out, and will try to get something in Valley View as well.Kathy will put flyer on Facebook.We will need 6 graders if the class has 36 signed up.ARRL slides will be used.
- Carnation Space — Rowland (K7RWB) / Dan (KA7GPP)
- Due to the 10' height limit, we will have a GP6 Antenna and a loop on 4 poles. We still need 5 aluminum brackets.Instead of paying $200 each, we can buy tubing and make these.We also need polyphasers and connectors.Total costs will under the amount requiring member approval.
- 100 feet of coaxial cable remaining for members to get @ 30¢/foot
- Recommended the club buy a good router for Carnation (approx. $100) since their router is obsolete and not sufficient for our needs.This expenditure was voted on and approved by the membership.
- Lindy asked if the total club expenditures for the month are expected to be $500 or more, which would require CDCCC Board discussion.Answer was 'no'.
7:30 PM: Special Presentation: SnoVARC was identified as a key group to benefit from a presentation from Duvall Fire District 45 regarding the levy proposition on the ballot for April 26, 2016. Chief Burke presented the history behind the initiative. This levy is needed to keep the status quo: 5 people on duty at all times. It is on the ballot for April so that people can evaluate its merits versus as a competition with 5 levies on the November ballot.
- CDCCC Board Meeting Report – Dan summarized upcoming training schedule (see below).
- CERT Communications in the Field — Kathy reported that the March 12th CERT drill was a great success.The CERTs operated in Net Control environment using FRS radios.Tom did a great job.
- Carnation 4th traffic control – Dan said we had 6 volunteers last year and we really needed 10 given the number of hours and need for breaks.Kathy agreed to coordinate on the 4th.Dan would like someone else besides himself to recruit volunteers.Kathy indicated the Traffic management class will really come in handy for folks volunteering for traffic control on the 4th and for the Duvall Run.
- Rowland described thePlain 100, which is a 100 mile in 3 days endurance run.Volunteers are needed Sept. 16-18.
Meeting adjourned at 8:05 pm.
ELMER SESSION: Field Day (Preliminary Planning) Ken reported that he would know by EOM if we can have Field Day at Camp Korey again. He assumes so, but given political climate will wait a couple weeks before asking. He will also try to bring the lift for tower. Dan said Bengt has a telescoping mast (to 40'). Rowland will be having hip replacement surgery and will need to miss Field Day. So he (with help) can bring YAGI, big box with stubs, coax, etc. the prior week and store everything in a locked facility.
- 04/09/16 & 04/10/16: Communications Academy, South Seattle College, 6000 16th Ave SW, Seattle
- 04/16/16: Traffic & Crowd Management Class, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Carnation Fire Station (NOTE TIME CHANGE)
- 04/16/16: CERT Refresher Class (Maybe), 1-4PM, Carnation Fire Station (NOTE TIME CHANGE)
- 04/18/16, 04/25/16, 05/02/16: Disaster Mental Health Seminar Series, 7-9PM, Duvall Library
- 04/28/16: Quarterly CERT Meeting, Thursday, 6:30-8PM, Carnation Library; TOPIC: Earthquake Preparedness
- 05/05/16: SnoVARC Meeting, Thursday, 7PM, Duvall Fire Station; ELMER SESSION: Operating Modes APRS, Digital, Etc – Ken (W7ECK)& Shawn (K7ATA)
- 05/07/16: First Aid/CPR Class – Saturday, 8AM-4PM, Tolt Congregational Church
- 05/07/16: Technician License Class (1st day), 9AM-5PM; Duvall Fire Station
- 05/14/16: Technician License Class (Final day), 9AM-3PM; Exam 3-5; Duvall Fire Station
- 06/02/16: SnoVARC Meeting, Thursday, 7PM, Duvall Fire Station; ELMER SESSION: FIELD DAY PREP
- 06/05/16: Duvall 10K Run, more details TBD