SnoVARC > News And Updates > Uncategorized > February 2017 Meeting Minutes
February 2017 Meeting Minutes
Meeting called to order at 7:02 pm at the Duvall Fire Station by Pres. Tom Needham (WA7TBP)
2016/2017 Members Present: Robin Amundson, Larry Backstrom, Kathy Brasch, Rick Burns, Paul Butzi, Marshall ‘Joe’ Carpenter, Nancy Carpenter, Dick Freiheit, Lindy Friedlander, Ken Kosters, John Lento, Debbi Lermond, Irvina Mitzell, Jim Myers, Tom Needham, Dan Pflugrath, Chuck Powrie, Shawn Somers, Chuck Woolfolk
Guests Present: David Guiliani, Woody Howse, Mike Ketchum, Bill Taylor
Initial Announcements – Tom (WA7TBP)
- Those who wore credentials got candy!
Secretary/Treasurer’s Report – Lindy (KG7IFA)
- Minutes from the January meeting were reviewed electronically prior to the meeting and approved at the meeting. A motion was made and seconded and member vote approved those minutes.
- Current Bank Balance $2,528.59 estimate as of January 31, 2017 (not yet presented to CDCCC Board).
- Discussion on equipment inventory, insurance & club spending:
- Spending: Shawn said he will finalize his proposal (with budget) for the purchase of a Pelican Case set up for a full portable HF station in a box for the Carnation space and another for Duvall (since Carnation could flood). This was put on back burner while the Carnation Space was being set up in 2016. Shawn indicated he would get back to that plan and bring it to our meeting to discuss/approve.
- Inventory/Insurance: Our replacement insurance with ARRL requires we have an original receipt or for items donated or provided used, we need at least a picture proving ownership. So priority is for equipment of higher value that we are insuring. Lists have been provided to Shawn and Paul, as well as the club leadership. Shawn said he would get pictures of the equipment for the Cougar and Duvall repeaters and Paul will get pictures of Carnation Space equipment. Chuck got pictures of the cross-band repeater. Everything should be sent to Lindy.
- 2017 Club dues donations (tax deductible*): Currently 23 members in 2017 as of the end of the meeting. NOTE: Checks made out to CDCCC may be mailed to CDCCC, PO Box 644, Carnation WA 98014, with membership application (available on Yahoo) – or bring to meeting.
- Repeater Task Force / Technical Committee –Shawn (K7ATA)
- IRLP Status: Back up and running again.
- Last month Tom had requested that there be an easy way to shut down access to IRLP if there was an emergency event. Ken will set up a 3 digit code to disable access and then enable it again when appropriate. Ken reported this is now in place. (456 to enable and 789 to disable). This can be done through DTMF remotely. As soon as his write up is ready it will be distributed as appropriate.
- HT requires an * prior to command to EchoLink/IRLP. Various commands via code can be used. Only one person can use this at a time. New instructions will be out soon.
- Emergency Planning and Mobilization – Ralph (KC7QXD) — Not Present
- Regional Network – Tom (WA7TBP) — No update at this time. However, John Bromberg indicated there was a meeting planned for late Feb or early March for folks involved with Cascadia Rising. More to come.
- Education & Community Outreach – Larry (N7ART)
- Spring Tech Class (in MAY) — So far there are 5 volunteers to assist in teaching class segments: Tom (WA7TBP), Dan (KA7GPP), Nancy (KI7EMC), Dick (KF7TUA) and Rowland (K7RWB); Plus Jim (W7ABD) volunteered to help with grading tests & one-on-one help
- Dick Freiheit donated his ARRL Extra training book for someone to use. And when done, pass it on to another, and another until the book is too dated.
- VE Training: No Update
- Carnation Space — Paul (KG7STV)
- No progress. People have been sick and the temperatures are too cold to venture out on the roof at this time. There is need for volunteers to help put up the loop antenna when it is a little warmer.
- Upcoming events — Kathy (K7KJB) Discussed CERT class. NOTE: The donation request is waived for those SnoVARC members who participated in one of our drill activities in the past 12 months. There is a link on the website to get to the CERT class registration.
- Additional Training Opportunities — Tom (WA7TBP)
- SnoVARC Winlink NET Check in. There were several people who checked in during the third Thursday of January prior to the net. (For more information on this, see January minutes and the handout from Tom.)
- Tom (WA7TBP): High Wind warning last night and tonight (2/1 and 2/2). There was a tree down on Tolt Hill Road that would have been very dangerous due to the road curving. This is a reminder that to be community minded, we should safely clear road or put out flares if not safe to remove.
Meeting adjourned at 7:27 pm.
ELMER SESSION: Winlink (David Guiliani WA6PXX & Woody Howse, K7EDH from Mercer Island ARC)
- 02/11/17: First Aid/CPR Training; Tolt Congregational Church, Carnation, 8:00AM-4:30PM ($35 donation requested)
- 02/27/17: Spring CERT class starts – Monday, 6:30PM, Carnation fire station
- 03/02/17: SnoVARC Club meeting — Thursday, 7:00PM, Duvall FS. ELMER: Antennas UHF-VHF (Theory; Parts needed to build a directional antenna) — Dan (KA7GPP)?
- 03/11/17: Annual Mike and Key ARC Electronics Show @ 9AM — Washington State Fair Grounds Pavilion Exhibition Hall
- 04/02/17: SnoVARC Club meeting — Thursday, 7:00PM, Duvall FS. Tentative ELMER: Build YAGI Antenna for Fox Hunt(?)
- 04/18-20/17: Partners in Emergency Preparedness Conference, Greater Tacoma Convention Center (see Kathy for info.)
- 04/27/17: CERT Quarterly meeting – Thursday, 6:30PM-8:30PM, Carnation Library — Topic: Family Preparedness(?)